Re: Nationals entries

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nationals entries
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:45:40 -0400
From: Bradley Lamont <lamont@mailhost.org> wrote:

Actually, we believe SM may have reached 15 entries, based on the count
we're keeping on the SM Mailing List, and we may reach as high as 24 if
some of the MIAs turn up.

But let's assume 15 for a sec. 15 is a magic number, not only because it's
the "SM gets a real class" breakout number, but because of *why* it's the
"SM class breakout number" - any class with less than 15 cars in it is "in
trouble" with regards to attendance.

[before anyone panics, note that ladies' class numbers count towards the
official attendance number, but I have excluded them here - under the
theory that most L class cars are also run in the open class with a
different driver. I also note that there's still quite a bit of time left
before registration closes, so these numbers may change signifigantly by
the final date]

Let's look at who's got 15 or less cars:

>DS  15 (!) <-- Want evidence that contingency money helps attendance?
>HS  13

Well, Stock class looks to be in good shape, with the only hurting class
being the slowest class - and even then, not hurting by much.

>ASP 14
>DSP  8

ASP is the super-expensive SP class, so it's not suprising that it's a
little down. DSP, on the other hand, is a little more suprising....

>AP   7
>BP  11
>DP  12
>EP   9
>FP   3

Yow! Aside from The Monster That Is CP, Prepared class as a whole is in
serious trouble here. 42 cars *in total* Yikes!

>BM  11
>DM  11
>EM  14
>FM   9

BM seems abnormally small; I suspect those numbers will come up. EM is
right on the bubble, which is pretty good for such a wide open (and thus
expensive) class. The surise here is FM - where are all the Vees?

>F125      6

The writing seems on the wall here....

>STS 14

This I expected to be larger than this by now. Street Touring had a much
better sophmore year, you'd think that Nationals attendance would be UP.

Now, the top 10

1    CP        51
2    FS        38
3    CM        32
4-5  CS/AS          31
6    BS        30
7-8  SS/GS          29
9-10 BSP/ESP   27

Interesting stuff here....

It looks like the FS->ESP->(SM)->CP axis is the core of the Club....

DG