Re: Oil

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oil
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@trimofran.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:33:26 -0500
>>This does NOT necessarily mean that Syntec is inferior in any practical
way to Group IV-V synthetics, just that it is different.  I looked at
the whole conventional vs. synthetic issue several months ago and
switched from synthetic back to conventional oil...but I make sure I
get a brand that uses a good Group II hydrocracked basestock. <<

An interesting point about natural vs. synthetic is that natural oil actually
has a lower friction coefficient.  It's "more slicker" than synthetic oil.  Not
enough to matter, but it's fun to make comments like this in a volitile place
like team.net.  ;-)

I tend to base my brand preference on the additive package that oil companies
put in their base stock.  High dollar 'not off the shelf' brands like TRC,
Redline, and Royal Purple appeal to the trucking industry since trucks can't
afford even a 10,000 mile oil change.  These oils tend to have 2-3 times the
amount of detergents and other additives that you will find in standard brands.
 For a car (especially a race car), I can't see how this would help at all.  We
never tested the Redline racing oil, so I don't know what their characteristics
are.

The 'best' over the counter oils we tested in terms of additives were Shell,
Valvoline, Quaker State, and Mobil.  Shell was the winner by a small margin,
while the rest were pretty much even.  However, this info is from several years
ago so I don't know what's going on now.

Really though, what the whole thing boils down to is oil change.  If you change
your oil every 3000 miles, you can use pretty much whatever you want, with a
lot of attention to the oil and air filters.  IMO, they are more important than
the brand of oil itself.

-Brad