Re: AWD cars at ProSolos

To: Jason Saini <speedyj73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AWD cars at ProSolos
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:44:42 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Jason Saini wrote:

> I hoped that people wouldn't take this as complaining...  I was trying
> to have a classing debate without sounding like a whiner.

I for one didn't take it as whining, algthough I disagree with your
premise.

As a point of debate, I would argue that 4WD isn't an unfair advantage at
all, even in ProSolo.  Someone (I believe it was you) mentioned 2.0 second
60' times on street tires.  My experience is that a good drag launch
should net you right around 2.0 on almost any sporty street car, whether
front, rear or all wheel drive.

I think that AWD is probably *easier* to get the 2.0 out of, and might
even be good for a tenth or so, with equal launching ability.  But a bump
in class is typically good for about a second in PAX, so the launch just
isn't enough of an advantage.  Even given that the start is longer than
60', there's just no way your going to get more than .3 seconds advantage
across both courses.

And as someone else pointed out, once the start is over, you have the
extra weight and more challengin handling of an AWD car to contend with.

Off the subject, but, after my first Pro (but many, many drag races), I
can say that practicing at the drag strip will definitely help your
reaction time, but not necessarily your 60'.  At least at our local strip,
I get *more* traction with my street tires on their sticky track than I
did at Peru on my Hoosiers.

Just some thoughts.

Steven

p.s.  I sure did wish they had RT and 60' times at the Pro - it's
certainly more challengine to "dial in" your launch under ProSolo
conditions than it is at the track.  Which is actually good, IMHO, and in
the tradition of autocross (track conditions and courses varying widely).