Re: Auto-X Trailer info needed

To: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Auto-X Trailer info needed
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:09:04 -0500 (EST)
SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net> sez:
> Hi everyone, I am nearly done building a Harbor Freight Tools
> Utility trailer I know these are used for most auto-x's.
> My question is how do I set it up so that the tires are held in securely?
> I know it needs posts or something so the tires can sit up in the front.

Depending upon what else you plan to put on the trailer, you may not want to
put the tires in front.  For instance, I put the traditional trailer box on
the front of my trailer, and the jack, fire extinguisher, tools and gas can
that I carry in the box weighs more than the 4 Miata wheels and tires.

You want the front of the trailer a little heavier than the rear so that you
have some tongue weight for stability of the towing Miata, and for a happy
hitch.

There is an online copy of a printed) article somewhere that outlines a
fellow building a tire trailer for his Miata.  I can't find the URL for it
now... maybe someone else has it squirreled away.

Nearly every tire trailer I've seen is set up differently - different folks
have different ideas about how to secure things to the trailer.  The best
sugestion I can make is to look at how other folks in your area have done
it, and see if that inspires you.  Or, if you don't feel creative, ask them
exactly how they did it and duplicate their setup.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom             87 E350XL - Andylance             84 RZ350 - Sting