Re: event synopsis

To: KWall73108@aol.com
Subject: Re: event synopsis
From: Jim Ourand <sojim@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:06:52 -0800
KWall73108@aol.com wrote:

> Seeking input on your autoxing area.
San Diego Region's Solo II program runs primarily at Qualcomm Stadium,
which sits on a 166 acre site.    The terrain is sloping to level, which
can mean courses with off/or/on camber turns, big sweepers, and long
cicanes.  Or the whole thing can be really tight, depending on the
course designer.

> How long is your season?
12 months, championship calendar from Jan to Dec.

> How many events in that season?
12 to 15 plus National Tour, Divisional, and/or Pro.  Plus we have 6 to
10 practice days throughout the year.

> What kind of courses are run (technical, open, top speed, etc.)?
Depends on course designer; most are open, requiring speed maintenance.

> What condition is the surface in?
Asphalt, fair to excellent condition, depending on area

> How many runs can be had at an event, including extra runs?
3 runs guaranteed, 4 sometimes, fun runs time permitting.  Times run
from 60 to 90 seconds.

> What's the typical turnout and how long does the event usually take?
150 to 200+, first car out 9am, shut down at 5pm.  We try to keep 3 to 4
cars on course at a time.

> What caliber of drivers are at the event, any national winners?
Novice (newbie) to expert.  We have established a PAX class for national
champions and experienced drivers to compete amongst themselves rather
than dominate their respective class.  Recent National trophy winners
include Gary Thomason, Rita Wilsey, George Doganis, Bill Sanford, John
Hayes, Lori Robertson, Geneva Middlebrook, James Fingerman, Barbara
Leroy-Boehme, Dan & Keli Cadenhead are names that I can think of off the
top of my head.

Other comments:

(1) Last time I heard, the lot rental fee was $1200 per day.
(2) There are 3 separate lots available, and on a given weekend it is
possible to have SCCA, PCA, and the local BMW club all running events on
their own lots.
(3) For an aerial picture of part of the parking lot go to:
http://www.mediacity.com/~csuppes/NFL/misc/index.htm?../SanDiegoChargers/pictures.htm