Re: Street Tire Handicap

To: autox-digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Tire Handicap
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 19:16:36 -0500

David Green wrote:

> Yep, it's a better deal with smaller tires.  I used to autox on street
> tires.  The one thing I didn't like was that my street tires were always
> rounded off and beat up (my crappy driving didn't help of course).  I guess
> I see this as a "cost" as well.

This is what a lot of newbies see as well.  But, once you get the car
set up correctly, and learn how to drive it smoothly within its limits,
and get tires that are made to DRIVE (not "ride") on... the tires hold
up better.  This depends greatly on the car, I'm sure.

> Also, I chose the very expensive tires since that's probably what alot of
> people will/would end up running to try to be competitive (I don't know if
> they're actually better, probably a little).

I think street tires are similar to autox tires in the area of top-end
price vs. competitiveness.  Yes, the more expensive tires may be
marginally better... but better enough to warrant the extra cost?  I
voted no when I tried P-Zero's vs. P-700Z's. (though the Zeros were
unquestionably better)

> I left out the tire I would choose for my car:
> SP8000's:  225/50/16, $85  :)

Those are supposed to be pretty good, I haven't tried them... yet.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca