Re: Street Tire Handicap

To: autox-digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Tire Handicap
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:26:45 -0500

David Green wrote:

> Those "fancy" autox tires are cheaper than most of the better street tires
> (in the larger sizes/diameters at least).  For example: (prices from the
> Tire Rack)

Initial cost may be comparable, but if I drove the Kumho R-tires on the
street (which I'm actually considering for summer use only), I'd get
less than half as many miles out of them, especially if I autocrossed on
them as well.  With a decent set of streets, I can drive on the street
for 10k and run a full season of autocross without any trouble... and I
don't have to get nervous in the rain... and I can actually leave the
house when there's snow on the ground.

> 205/50/15's:
>
> Pilot MXX3's: $179
> Pzero's: $113
> V700's: $110

P700's:  $68

> 245/45/16's:
>
> Pilot MXX3's: $242
> PZero's: $219
> V700's: $130

Who can run 245's? <smile>

205/50/16's:
Many choices cheaper than any R-tire, even the Kumho.
I chose Yok AVS's at $112.

I'll admit, when you get up into the wider and larger sizes such as your
quoted 245/45/16, prices for good streets can get astronomical.
Autocrossing on street tires isn't for everyone or every car, but it's
for me.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca