Street Tire Handicap

To: autox-digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street Tire Handicap
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:08:46 -0500
Ray said:

>       My suggestion has been to let the street tire cars compete in their
> regular classes right along with the R tire cars but use a percentage
> handicap to even the competition. At first I thought about 5% was a good
> number. The RTP index in the factors for ST and STR makes a difference of
> about 4.5% between those 2 classes in which the tires are the only
> difference. Being based on some data from a number of events that is probably
> a better number.
>       I have read of some regions that do something like this but use a flat
> 2sec difference. That doesn't take into account that 2sec on a short 45sec
> run is a bigger difference than on a longer, say, 65 sec run. A percentage
> handicap takes care of that.
>       This percentage idea will draw fire from the R tire contingent because
> they will say that the money they have spent for tires will be wasted and
> negated by giving street tire cars a  handicap.
>       So I'm asking for some ideas, if anyone has any to offer, as to how the
> street tire class could be organized in a way that makes sense, and is stable
> and fair.

I like the idea.  I think it's perfectly rational.  I'm not sure 5% is
an accurate figure.  As much as anyone who's spent the bucks on those
fancy autocross tires will hate to admit it, they probably only gain 2
to 3% over a good street tire.  (based on my own experience, ymmv... but
2 seconds on a 60 second course is only 3.3%)

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca