Re: Integra AutoXing

To: Cccya1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Integra AutoXing
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:41:30 -0600
Cccya1@aol.com wrote:

> I have 1 year under my belt autoxing my Honda Civic (much like the wussy
> little brother of an integra).  I too wondered about tire pressures and heel
> toe (btw 35ish Front, 30ish rear on Khumos).  I went to the Chicago region
> driving school in March to try and learn some new concepts.  I race w/ a
> miata club and get killed by them almost every time.  So I went there looking
> to learn from FWD instructors, which I did.  I learned that rather than
> downshift to keep the revs up, just left foot brake to slow the car while
> keeping your right foot on the gas.   I was a little skeptical with this,
> then I went for a ride....WOW...His CRX exploded (compared to me) out of
> corners, he kept the revs above 4K the entire course.  The only downside is
> expect to put rotors and pads on sooner...But that may be an approach you
> want to try...

        While I do agree that left foot braking is a great idea, it's only
usefull in certain circumstances. If, like you said, he never let the
rpms drop below 4k, then there was never a need to downshift in the
first place. If you were downshifting for the same turn, then you might
have been braking too much. If there's no need to downshift, then left
foot braking can do wonders for immediate response off the brakes, and a
more stable transition. However, if you need to grab a lower gear (like
3rd to 2nd for instance), then left foot braking isn't going to work for
obvious reasons. Then again, this topic seems to have blosomed a bit and
we're possibly talking about two different things now...

-Johs2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/