Re: MR-2 stops running at 5500 rpm???

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: MR-2 stops running at 5500 rpm???
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:30:30 -0700
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> Well, our C/Stock MR-2 pulled a new one today.  At 5500 rpm, it suddenly goes
> flat and sounds very sour, not the "bump-bump-bump" of the rev limiter, but
> sort of the same effect as far as acceleration - IT STOPS HAPPENING!  And
> before you say "Yeah, MR-2s run out of power at about 5500..."  it's much more
> dramatic than just the normal running out of power.  We've seen that before,
> it's really unhappy.  Plugs look fine, maybe a bit lean, no "Check Engine"
> light, or codes stored in the computer, and we've picked up a bit of
> detonation at part throttle acceleration at the same time.
>
> Any ideas???

So - CHD has a 1991 MR-2, huh? I thought you'd NEVER switch.

Charlie, I'm afraid I do have a very good clue as to what this probably is -
you won't like it. The same thing happened to my 91 MR-2, and it costs about
$650 to fix. Mine was a "49 states" model, and had one cat BTW.

The cat has probably broken inside and is limiting power and exhaust flow.

Characteristics were like it suddenly had become an H Stock car. General loss
of 'perk' throughout the range, but especially over 3000rpm. Mine even blew
off the vacuum hose to the PCV control valve, or whatever that was.

It actually felt kinda 'constipated', looking back on it.

The cat is a very special factory-only one, formed into a cast iron housing
that fits only this car.

Good luck. I might be wrong.

Let me know what you find (curiosity). Do an exhaust backpressure test to
confirm this - what, about 2 # or less list?

Scott Meyers
92 240 SX SE
(Yes, again!)