Re: SCCA ESP Protest

To: "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: SCCA ESP Protest
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:12:46 -0500
(Not sent to the Talon list - Scotty, it's a Digest-only, moderated list, so
there's no sense in back-and-forthing crossposts to it)

> From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com \
>> It's not. "Any boost increase you get from a legal modification is likewise
>> legal"

>   Huhhh? Ya mean they changed the part in the rule book where it's not
> legal to make a legal mod that results in a illegal result or some such
> deal?

There's a section in the rulebook (or maybe it was a FastTrack update, I forget)
that explicitly states that any increase in boost pressure on a turbocharged car
that results from a legal modification is likewise considered legal.

I picked up a half pound of boost by cleaning my air filter. Is that illegal? :P

Protesting boost levels is like trying to protest the airflow rate (in CFM) of a
naturally aspirated car. It's meaningless, dynamic, and everything you do
affects it in some way or another. Or even better - you've got a factory
horsepower spec, what's to stop me from having your car dynoed and protesting
the extra HP you got from your headers, intake manifold, etc. etc - did the
rulebook _say_ you were allowed to modify the power level?

While _testing_ boost levels can be used as a tool to help chase down an illegal
mod (the same way one could slap an airflow meter on a 'vette to try and locate
an overbored motor or an illegal camshaft) or the same way you could dyno the
car to see if it was making excessive power (Hmmm, a 600HP 'vette motor...) -
you cannot protest the boost level on it's own. You must locate whatever illegal
modification was done (assuming one exists) and protest that.

Any DSM making less than 21-22lbs of boost is probably legal. Any DSM making
(and holding!) 23+ is probably cheating.

DG