autox-cm

Re: FF2000 proposal in Solo II CM class

To: "'seb@scca.com'" <seb@scca.com>
Subject: Re: FF2000 proposal in Solo II CM class
From: tyson@irobot.com
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:35:15 -0500
Godula, Gary (G.M.) wrote:
> C Modified is a class that is favored for its stability and consistency.
> Cars can be competitive for many years at a time which promotes cost
> savings for the competitors.  It is almost a spec class where most of
> the engines, tires, and weights are the same, promoting set-up and driving
> skill to be successful.

I am new to CM as of this past season.  I ran in DS with a Neon for 5
years, in AM for 1 year and now in CM.  AM was an anomaly, I had a
chance to drive a 900lb car with 250hp and a big wing so I did it.  DS
and CM where both chosen for being "spec" classes where it is driver
against driver.  In the above paragraph Gary does an excellent job of
summarizing why I am now a CM competitor.

I left stock as a whole because of instability in what cars you're
competing against, car depreciation and inability to fix weak points in
a chassis design (over heating in the RX-7, lower core supports in the
Neon, upper front A-arm attach points in the Honda S2000, etc).  For
these reasons, it is very unlikely that I will ever return to stock.  I
still feel that stock cars are fun, but not a good investment choice (if
there is such a thing for racing).

I feel that FM, F125 and CM are unique in all of Solo in their low cost
and stability (given the short solo history of F125, I'm being generous
here).  However, F125 and FM cars do not appeal to me due to their
significant chassis setup and design limitations.  That left CM as
clearly different from all the rest of Solo by my way of looking at
things.  Formula Ford offers a low cost car that handles well and can be
setup to handle the way you like.  Additionally, I will be competing
against other cars whos performance is nearly identical to the one I'm
driving.  The best part is that some of the cheapest Formula Fords seem
to be the best choices for Solo applications.  Change this and I will be
looking for someplace else to spend my time and money.

Godula, Gary (G.M.) wrote:
> Allowing this proposal to go thru would eliminate
> this formula, which is the secret to the class's popularity and survival.
> As the saying goes, "If it is not broken, do not fix it."  C Modified is
> not broken, and it does not need to be fixed.

I agree.  Please don't "fix" CM.

I would love to see a class with more performance that is otherwise like
CM.  I am from the group that likes spec classes and drivers competing
on even ground.  Others will legitimately disagree with me and enjoy the
engineering and/or spending challenge of a more diverse classes that
might have more open rules, but I'm not one of them.

In general, I find it amazing that Solo II doesn't have classes whos
designation begins with "spec" or "formula".  Spec miata has been quite
popular.  Spec Racer Ford has large fields.  Formula Ford is much like a
spec class and has large fields in road racing.  In general, it seems
(to me) that the spec and low cost formula classes have some of the
largest competition fields.  Solo II has no such classes by designation,
but those that end up functioning like one (ES, CS, BS, the old Neon DS,
CM) tend to have some of the larger turn-outs.  Why is it that Solo II
doesn't explicitely designate some spec and/or low cost formula classes?
  Why not Spec Miata or MR2?  Why not "Formula Ford" as a Solo II class?
  How about "Formula SCCA" (if that class ever takes off, I might have
issues with setup limitations) as a Solo II class?

In the spirit of the above paragraph, why not FF2000 as a Solo II class?
  I do see the value of creating a _competitive_ place for cars like the
FF2000.  BM isn't that place and CM shouldn't be either.  What might
happen if FF2000 where offered as a suplimental class?  If a time comes
that I could afford a bit more power and some wings, FF2000 would be a
great place to go from the current CM.  I see BM as very poorly defined
with arbitrary rules changes from the GCR cars they are supposed to be
but generally aren't, as well as being too expensive.

Tyson Sawyer
'85 Reynard RF85 - CM 47 "The Red Headed Stepchild"
SCCA member #261733

--
Tyson D Sawyer                             iRobot Corporation
Senior Systems Engineer                    Military Systems Division