Re: Cooling system help

To: pLaske@bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: Cooling system help
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:34:25 +0930
Hi Patrick,
I went through my cooling system - twice.
My car would creep up in temperature ever so slowly, but it always got
hotter and hotter.

First pass was when I had the gearbox out. I pulled the freeze plug at the
back of the block and cleared the cooling passage, replaced the thermostat,
flushed out the radiator, and filled with new coolant.

It still overheated.

Second try was to get a recored (standard two core) radiator, and to fit
twin electric thermo fans in front of the radiator, and remove the engine
fan. The car runs right on the thermostat opening now, except when stopped
in traffic, when the thermo fans cut in periodically. The fans were probably
overkill, but hearing of people losing blades off the old engine fan, made
me opt for the electric ones.

In short,  I recoreed the radiator, cleared the junk out of the block, and
replaced the thermostat. A 3-core radiator is probably overkill for the
street.

Oh, and I'm in South Australia. We get 100-110 degrees F in summer here.
Cheers,
Paul.
1963 S3 ST