Cutting out at speed

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Cutting out at speed
From: Joe Robson <absjmr@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:09:37 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

Currently having more stress with my SIV, I had the carbs rejetted,
balanced etc etc about 100 miles ago, since then the car ran increasingly
bad, until it was discovered that the distributor was loose and had moved
around. That seemed to solve a lot of problems. However, yesterday I set
off to take my car to Berkshire Sunbeam Centre, I got the 10 miles onto
the motorway in which the car behaved itself, but as soon as it was on the
motorway it coughed spluttered and eventually stalled. Cruising to a stop
the car was then unhappy to start again and ran rough until the rescue
service came, changed the condenser reset the point and off I went again.
3 miles down the motorway - same thing. Second rescue man came out,
checked everything said that the ignition side of everything was fine, but
was confused as to what it could be, so then it was time for the tow
truck.

Any ideas what it could be, the temperature and O/P were fine at all times
and I didn't take it over 70 mph. I thought maybe the stock fuel pump
couldn't keep up with supplying the twin 40s, but after one stall session
I quicklly jumped out to check and the glass bowl was full of fuel.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Joe

1964 Alpine