Re: Cooling system help

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Cooling system help
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:32:46 +0100
Hi Jay and listers,

I remain convinced that the casting sand is the main cause of over
heating.

I pulled the core plugs from my block when I rebuild my series 5 1725
engine and got a good one pound of sand from the waterways, mostly
around the back of #4 cylinder.

guess which cylinder is nearly always the cause of blow ups due to over
heating! Has anyone ever seen number 1 piston melted?? I have seen #4
overheat in most failed engines.

I have also seen this with Holbays so I guess that means the benefits of
the head can't make up for problems in the block.

On one rare occasion when the UK temperatures dared to get near to Jays
norm in California, of 5 cars on a run through really heavy traffic,
mine was the only one not to spit coolant. the other 4 drivers were
converted and have not had problems since they cleared their waterways.
(I was going to say passages, but that might have been seen as more
relevant to biology than the intended physics 8-)

One final note, if a core plug is going to fail - it will be the one in
the bell housing - engine out !

I guess the massage is, if you take the time to remove you engine, make
sure you remove the sand and also renew the core plugs.

regards

Jeff

In message <OFBCB18068.577108DC-ON88256A38.0062F77A@countrywide.com>,
Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com writes