Re: Pertronix Ignitor Problems

To: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignitor Problems
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 22:33:47 -0800
bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:

> Hello all:  I have a question on all this stuff, this seems like a good time
> jump in.  My uncle and cousins who have a race team suggested I go to a MSD
> unit, multiple spark discharge.  I was going to stick a Petronix on, but my
> cousin suggested that since the hotter spark from the MSD would not be going
> through the points (they would only be used to send a signal to the MSD to
>fire,
> the MSD would be routed around them), that the electronic ignition was not
> necessary.  I asked about float, but it was felt that with a 4 cylinder car
>not
> revving real high, it was an unnecessary concern.  Thought or comments?
>Thanks,
> Bill
>
> CANISDOG@aol.com wrote:

Using points to trigger an MSD sort of blows away the reason for
really wanting to get away from points in the first place.

Points wear whether they carry the coil current or not, that is
that the rubbing block wears and the timing changes.

As for MSD giving a hotter spark, no.  Spark is a function of the
coil used, the coil voltage and the amount of dwell or pre-ignition
time the coil is given to build its magnetic field.

MSD uses thier own coil, which is a so-so coil with lower
inductance than most.
MSD gives up to 3 decent sparks per spark event, but only at lower
RPMs.  At higher RPMs you get 2 or just the normal 1 spark,
which puts you back to what every other electronic ignition system
does for you.

MSD does have its place, it can do wonders for light throttle misfire
on heavily cammed engines, but on an otherwise stock alpine engine
you would be wasting your money.

BTW, if you are still hell bent for the MSD, I'd still use a pertronix
or other electronic ignition to trigger the MSD.  That way, you set the
timing, and forget it forever....
In theory anyhow.

Jarrid Gross