RE: Pertronics Problems

To: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>, CANISDOG@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Pertronics Problems
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:45:17 -0400
Jarrid,

         I can't agree with you more here. Before we get into vacuum and
mechanical advance issues though, I think we should get back to the basic
problem: this fellow can't get his engine to fire at all and had to turn
the distributor 180:, which is not right.

         I am suggesting he try to do static timing with the engine at TDC
#1 and the turn the distributor in the clamp until he gets a spark, with
the lead off #1 and the end situated close to the head or block somewhere.
He should not have to turn it so far as to get the alignment of the rotor
with the #1 post so far off it has to make a big jump to the terminal. Most
rotors have a pretty wide surface area facing the post to allow for some
misalignment and still be directly in line.

         I'm sure this kit has been installed on more than a few Alpines
and is a proven successful installation by many other owners so there is
some very basic installation problem occurring here. Once he gets it
running, he'll never go back to points.

Bob

At 11:37 AM 11/29/2000 -0800, Jarrid Gross wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Best to re-read my instructions...
>
>In a nutshell, it says that the phasing of the ignition
>event with respect to the phasing of the rotor is important.
>
>I dissagree that arbitrarily rotating the distributor to make
>the ignition fire at the correct angle is the right way to adjust
>the timing.
>You just cant assume that rotating the distrubtor to get the right
>ignition timing will truly fix all the evils.
>
>As I said before, and many times before that, getting the ignition
>timing right is not enough, the timing must be right AND it must
>occur when the rotor is pointing at the correct cap terminal.
>In addition to that, it must be phased across the entire advance
>range for the mechanical and vacuum advance.
>

>The advance hook on the 25D lucas rotor only provides for around 20 degrees
>of mechanical advance, so if you rotate the distributor 22.5 degrees
>to compensate for the sensor not being mounted in phase with the
>rotor, then the spark will occur when the rotor is NOT pointing
>at the proper plug wire.
>This results in weak spark at that plug, or misfire to the closest
>cap terminal.
>
>I have seen a great many aftermarket ignitions that suffer from
>this problem pertronics is just one of them.
>

>Jarrid Gross

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
Home Page: www.navnet.net/~hamilton
BATANS Home Page: www.batans.ca
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca