Re: Sandblasting, yes or no??

To: CANISDOG@aol.com, ALPINES@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sandblasting, yes or no??
From: Alpdavegre@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:29:25 EDT
Paul,

I personally have sand blasted Sues S1. I first did the chemical paint
striper to remove most of the paint layers that were on the car. Approx. five
paint jobs of varing colors. Sandblasting can be done successfully if you
know what you are doing. Pressure needs to be around 100 psi and you don't
point the nozzle directly at the surface. You do it at approx. a 45 degree
angle and use a sweeping constant motion. It takes time to do an Alpine.
About 3 hrs. Nasty job, believe me you will find sand in places you couldn't
believe on the cars body as well as your person. I cover up with long pants,
long sleeve shirt, hat, goggles, cotton in my ears, etc. Media blasting
sounds like a good way to go. Dipping is okay but it removes paint in places
that could be hard to reach when you need to repaint the car. I am just about
ready to see what lies beneath my Mk 1 Tiger. What will I use? I'm a glutton
for punishment so.....Sandblasting! Hey I own 11 Sunbeams(soon to be 10) I'm
used to punishment!
Dave Green