RE: External oil feed line

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: External oil feed line
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:02:01 -0700
        Jim:

        You will get many opinions. I cite Roger Williams in his book on
restoring the
the TR4/5/250/6. He does not recommend them - saying that he prefers to
have maximum
oil protecting the (expensive!) bottom end of the motor. The rocker arms
and shaft
are cheap and easily replaced. He also cites the widely recognized fact
that a stock
top end does not have valve stem oil seals, so oil consumption and
smoking go up
with the external oil feed.
        If I were racing, I *MIGHT* consider one, although I would
probably use
goodparts roller rockers. With needle bearing fulcrums, they will run
without
oil which eliminates the need for the oil line altogether.
        A roll pin is a tubular piece of spring steel, slit lengthwise.
When pressed
into a hole, the pin is held tightly in place by spring force. It thus
secures itself
and the surrounding part in place. Typically used to secure a part to a
rotating
shaft (e.g. a clutch fork on a cross shaft in our beloved TR6s).

        Vance