RE: exhaust system replacement

To: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@CDC.GOV>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: exhaust system replacement
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:13:45 -0700
        Michael:

        You want a system that both muffles *AND* is free flowing. What
a concept. There are plenty of systems that do one OR the other, but not
both. And there are some systems that do neither. Unfortunately the only
way to know is to have DATA, and not necessarily the data from the
manufacturer.
        The best way to go and be certain is to have an exhaust shop
fabricate a custom one for you. This is surprisingly inexpensive. You
must be careful in your choice of mufflers, as this is where the largest
restriction lies, and hence having data on the muffler is essential.
        David Vizard (whom I worship as the god of engine building) has
a favorite; the Cyclone Sonic Turbo muffler. Another nearly as good
choice is the Dyno-Max line of mufflers. Find an exhaust shop that
carries one or the other, and turn them loose. For $200-300 dollars you
can get aluminized steel (won't rust) and a free flowing muffler that
muffles. Plus you get to choose the number, style, and location of the
exhaust tips.
        I think this is the best choice. The Monza systems have a
reputation for being too loud for most people, and a surprising number
of after market systems don't flow very well (I have no knowledge of
Monza's flow capabilities. It may be great, I just have no data.).
Falcon is another after market system, but without flow numbers, it is
hard to know if it will make good power.

        Let us know what you decide.

        Cheers,

        Vance

Cogito Ergo Zoom