Re: gunst bearing install

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: gunst bearing install
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:16:42 -0400
Because of Dick's post I will clarify what I know.

One of the bearings was reported to be "grainy" and not smooth turning.

Gunst said that the graininess was not uncommon and that we should run
it on a lathe for an hour or so to see if it smoothed out.

That was done, more or less, and the bearing was found to leak oil.
Gunst later said that per a conversation with the manufacturer, he was
told that bearing preload was critical, and Joachim said that because of
that his instructions to us may not have been correct and the test may
have damaged the bearing. At any rate, he is in the process of replacing
the bearing, and will send the damaged one back to the factory for
evaluation.

My interpretation of all this is that the bearing should be installed
with the correct preload.

Don Malling