gunst bearing install

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gunst bearing install
From: "STEPHEN KIRSIS" <sakirsis@txucom.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:34:41 -0500
i have been a silent reader for over a year now as my 76 tr CF52092U has
gradually been dismantled and put back together. i did the dismantling and
some of the rebuilding. my mechanic is now in the process of finishing the
job. i have supplied the parts and now have a question concerning the gunst
bearing i received from nelson reidel. how important is the strap and spring
for the 15 lb. preload? i just got back from the shop and it appears my
mechanic has jury rigged the spring on backwards. he cut part of the spring
off and has it going from the bottom hole of the pushrod to the bottom bolt of
the slave cylinder bracket. we had a long discussion about this and i even
showed him the directions from gunst (which shows the preload going the other
way) with the strap attached to the gear box cover and the spring to the
bottom hole of the clutch shaft where the pushrod is attached. he is convinced
the pre-load should go this way. will this cause any damage when the car is
test driven? i am going away for a few days and the car will be done. he is a
good mechanic but sometimes he just goes on instinct and has to be told in an
intelligent explanation why he is wrong. how do i tell him? thank, steve
kirsis.