Re: Miata Racing - Futile Attempt?

To: Gameparker@cs.com
Subject: Re: Miata Racing - Futile Attempt?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:56:20 -0800 (PST)
Geoff---I think you have a very good chance on staying with the '90
Miata in a speed contest, up to a quarter mile. Here's the MIATA
low-down on its specs, as reported by the Nov. 1990 issue of Road and
Track.

H.P.--116
Curb weight--2209 lb.
0-60 times--9.5 sec.
1/4 mi.---17 sec.

You will be giving up around 200 lb. or more in weight. (Let's hope
whoever races/drives the Miata is a moose!)

The sprint to 60 in a stock TR6 of your vintage is arguably 11.5 sec.,
which is a bunch in distance. Your mods in the camshaft, and
compression, complimented with richer SU needles should make up the
difference. His car no doubt feels quicker, but this can be attributable
to its lighter weight and fuel injection. (Throttle response) I wouldn't
bet the plantation on your victory in this contest, but a case of ones
preferred  lager seems reasonable.

The Miata has only 100 lb. of torque in its 1598 cc engine, so the
strength in is car will come in the upper rpm band. Get your car off
with a good launch, and you should get the bragging rights.

Dick T.