Re: Steering rack mount conversion

To: Alan & Debbie Lindner <theedge@cts.com>
Subject: Re: Steering rack mount conversion
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:55:24 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Alan & Debbie Lindner wrote:

> I purchased a steering rack mount conversion kit from Moss (667-
> 288) because the mounting rubber was moving when I steer.

This is a common problem with the rubber and the urethane bushings.

Note: you can tighten things to get rid of the slop in the bushings...
look at the manual for the description, but there are little plates under
the frame mounts that you can lever with a flat-blade screwdriver to get
things to "firm up". Just remember turn the wheels full lock left and then
tighten the _right_ mount and then turn the wheels full lock right and
tighten the left mount.

> I have not installed them yet and I have a question.
>
> What are the pros and cons in changing rubber steering rack
> mounts for aluminum ones?  I would have thought if solid is better,
> it would have been built that way.

Al mount pros:

1. set it and forget it

Al mount cons:

1. less compliance in the steering system.

I have the al mounts on both my TR6's. So far, so good.

> Alan Lindner
> '72 TR6 French Blue
> CC75676L
> San Diego, CA

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |