Re: oil cooler

To: Alan & Debbie Lindner <theedge@cts.com>
Subject: Re: oil cooler
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:02:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

If you really want to track the leak down, you can purchase additive dyes
for your motor oil. You add the dye to the sump and run the car and then
use a black-light to detect the dye. This'll help you find the leak the
in the shortest amount of time.

Do you need an oil cooler? I guess the answer depends on how you drive the
car. I don't have one on my street car, but I have one on the race car.
The race car needs it, as the oil routinely gets over 210F under harsh
conditions.

As for the hoses, the braided stainless has better protection from
puncture or abraison. Other than that, it's overkill.

If your hoses are old enough, they could just be tired.

Most auto shops that do hydraulic work for trucks can make you up a new
batch of hoses for short money. The only "gotcha" is what type of hose
connection you have - AN type or BSP.

Good luck.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |