Re: Tube shock conversion and hub rebuilders

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net, ktnkt@cape.com
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion and hub rebuilders
From: Trsx69@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:56:00 EST
Kevin and Dick,
I have seen the tube shock conv on several cars and also had them on my 72,
in three cases i have seen cracks in the frame/shock mount locations and my
72 also started to show some stress, i removed mine.  the others where
strengthed by weld/reinforsing this already weak area of the frame.  The
three cases were all hard drivers, as i am at times.  I think it might have
something to do with the length of the shocks, not sure.  I do know of
several other TR's that have them and have no problem.  The type i'm talking
about are the ones the Herman & NAR have made from Jan Dawson's design.  She
had no problem and i believe Herman also had no problem as did some owners
here in NJ.  Herman does use a different shock than the Spax I believe.  Hope
this helps.

Jim Holewka
69 TR6
72 TR6