Re: Trouble removing Gearshift lever

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Trouble removing Gearshift lever
From: Fish63@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:52:31 EDT
Dick,

I understand your comments.  However, I have removed all three bolts and the
cap will not budge at all in any direction.  There apprears to be no room to
push the cap down as the cap is flush against the top cover.  I put a big
pipe wrench on the cap in an effort to get a little movement (without
exerting too much force) and I can't get the cap to budge.  I've also given
it some generous hammer taps, but that doesn't get it to move either.  I can
push the retainer down under the cap and I see where the spring loading is
coming from, but the cap won't move.  By the way, in which direction should I
be turning the cap CW or CCW?

Is it time for the torch or something to attack the corrosion like some
diluted acid?

Help!

John