zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zm

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: Arch Boston <arch.boston@twc.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 20:42:57 -0500

--Apple-Mail-24E1B136-421E-4FFF-B518-D0258D55AF06

Somewhere around here I have notes from Dave Liveley? giving directions for a=
 DIY 5 speed conversion.  If anyone is interested I will try to find the not=
es.  His directions were rather complete.  Strange that no transmission made=
 in this century can be utilized. Arch

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2013, at 8:09 PM, David Halliday <davidh@egopharm.com> wrote:

> I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hi Gear conversion with the Ford type 9=
 gearbox.  It is a great conversion.  It fits easily, with very little in th=
e way of mods and looks stock from the interior.
>=20
> I just drove my original and standard ZB yesterday.  I really miss that 5t=
h gear and syncro on 1st and 2nd!
>=20
> Kind regards,
>=20
> David
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 30 November 2013 02:49, Wayne & Isabel Hardy <gwhardy@suddenlink.net> w=
rote:
> Just a short comment on Rivergate kits again..I have experience with a 210=
 tranny in a Midget. Neat little installation, requires only a couple stout s=
macks on the tunnel side so as to allow removal of the side located tranny o=
il check plug. You could if you wanted also use a hole saw clear through and=
 check the level through the side from the inside of the cockpit but don=E2=80=
=99t need to. Gear selector comes out pretty much exactly where the old one d=
id, and gears 1-3 are almost exactly the same as the Midget box, 4th is dire=
ct drive 1 : 1 ratio, and 5th is ease it on down the road gear for freeway u=
se...especially if you have already gone to a 3.9 : 1 rear as I did. It gets=
 about 45 mpg in 5th overdrive at 70 MPH, at about 2300 rpm; and 1st syncro i=
s sure nice too. Very nice kit.
> =20
> Wombat
> =20
n Lombard Hill!  I guess my consideration of rear gears presumed the 1800 wa=
s already in the picture.
> =20
> I forgot to point this out but in the third picture I sent, you can see I'=
ve moved the handbrake back about 1.5". This is not difficult at all - there=
's plenty of room to take up that much slack in the cable.  Also note that I=
 tilted the lever up a bit on it's front bracket.  It clears the tower nicel=
y. Regarding the 200SX or 240SX transmissions, the 280Z was Rivergate's choi=
ce and their kit will not fit the others. They liked the extreme durability o=
f the 280Z - as it was designed to handle the six-cylinder engine.  They do h=
ave kits designed to fit the 210 five-speed to "A block" engines. Designed f=
or Spridgets, I believe they also adapt well in Morris Minors. I keep my eye=
 out for these on occasion and have dreams of my own MM 4-door with a 1275, a=
 Rivergate/210 five-speed, a Spridget 3.9 diff, and Spridget discs up front.=
  The trick is to FiND a 210 5-speed. And for that matter, the 280Z 5-speeds=
 are drying up also.  BTW, there is some activity in the BW T5 bull pen.  We=
 may have another option before long.  Hopefully somebody who knows more tha=
n I will speak to this.
> =20
> I still hold with the opinion that the non-od MGB 4-synch would be more tr=
ouble to install than a Hi-Gear or a Datsun and give you very little return f=
or your money and effort.  It would be nice to capitalize on that free one y=
ou have - except bear in mind that your freeby is the 2nd-most worthless par=
t on an MGB, the most worthless part on an MGB being a 3sync non-od transmis=
sion.  If you advertised to MGB guys that you were currently accepting 4-syn=
c non-od drop-offs, your front yard would be full by morning. Keeping one or=
 two and tearing them down for parts makes some sense as the internals can b=
e used in rebuilding od boxes.  I gave away four of them about two years ago=
. I have one "spare" 4-sync od box that I'll will to one of  my kids someday=
. The other kid will get the house and everything that's in the bank.
> =20
> Regarding shifter location, I think that problem can be solved pretty easi=
ly - since the Rivergate/Datsun brings it's shifter up right in the MGB 4-sy=
nc opening. Ergo, if the Rivergate/Datsun shifter requires about a 2" rearwa=
rd expansion in the Magnette tunnel, the 4-sync MGB shifter would require ab=
out the same. I'm pretty sure it would be doable. ' Wonder if anybody's trie=
d this with a Triumph TR6 box.  After all, a Triumph has to be good for some=
thing...  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)
> =20
> Cheers,
> Allen
> Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =3Diii=3D<
> Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs
> '57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 B/GT
> North Street, MI 48049, USA
> http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs
> =20
> On Nov 27, 2013, at 2:22 PM, charles durning wrote:
>=20
>> Allen,
>> =20
>> Thanks for the response.  I'm not intending on using a MGB OD transmissio=
n just the NON OD trans that came with the engine.  My concern was with the l=
ocation of the shifter.  I'm thinking that with a little fabrication I can r=
elocate the shift lever in the opening for the remote    control.  I might e=
ven be able to adapt the Magnette lever there.  I'll compare the 2 when I ge=
t it out sometime in the future.
>> =20
>> A friend has a used Ford Sierra trans and the adaptor parts he removed fr=
om a wrecked MGB.  It's FREE.  I looked it over and it looks like the sfift l=
ever would interfere with the parking brake lever also.  It looks like a maj=
or job to relocate the shift lever on that trans.  I would use it if I can w=
ork out relocating the shift lever.
>> =20
>> Frankly I would be happy with a 4 speed, that's why I would consider usin=
g the NON OD MGB 4 synchro trans that came with the engine.  I could keep th=
e 3 synchro trans it would be easy enough to adapt to the 5 mb engine.=20
>> =20
>> BTW I did some looking around and it looks like the trans from a Datsun 2=
00SX or 240SX would put the shifter in the right place.=20
>> =20
>> Charlie Durning
>> =20
>> If you are using Google or Gmail, Big Brother is watching.
>> =20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@comcast.net> w=
rote:
>> As far as I know, the cheapest way to do this is with the Datsun 280Z fiv=
e-speed (it has a "Z" in it!) and a Rivergate kit.  I've done it on two diff=
erent Magnettes.  The kit is designed for an MGB so there is a bit of fabric=
ation necessary - but it isn't rocket science.  The bit in question is the t=
ransmission mount. The Hi-Gear Ford Sierra kit is available from either Moss=
 or Bruce Woodson and I understand there is a purpose-built version for the M=
agnette.
>> =20
>> Having done the Datsun/Rivergate option, I can say that it is pretty darn=
 easy.  The pictures show the only modifications done to the car.  Bear in m=
ind that the PO had converted the car to the Datsun transmission with a kit h=
omemade by his mechanic. The second picture shows how much material was remo=
ved from the back of the shifter opening.  In fact, this is more than necess=
ary, but the third picture shows how I dealt with it.  I chose not to weld t=
he new tunnel patch in case a future owner wants to reverse the conversion. =
 In this sense, in answer to frequent criticism, by using a Japanese transmi=
ssion, I actually preserved more original MG than I would have with an MG tr=
ansmission. Another advantage to this approach is that the old Magnette driv=
e shaft still fits - requiring only that the front U-joint yoke be reamed sl=
ightly to fit the Datsun U-joint which of course has it's own front yoke and=
 transmission spline.=20
>> =20
>> If I recall correctly, I used an early MGB shift-lever boot.   I did rewo=
rk the flange of the shift-lever tower with a body hammer to fit its new loc=
ation. The PO didn't use a tower at all.
>> =20
>> One more thought.  If you're undecided about the transmission choice, fir=
st try replacing your original 4.55 differential gear set with a 4.3, a 4.1 (=
if you can find one), or a 3.9.  This is an easy two-hour job. You might fin=
d that even with the original gearbox, you're happy with the higher-geared r=
ear end. It's interesting that the two ZAs I rode in while visiting the UK w=
ere both the earliest 4.87 rear-end types, and while we never went on the "M=
 roads" with them (equivalent to our interstates), they seemed remarkably un=
stressed.  For awhile there, I started wondering why I had gone to all this e=
ffort.  But then I get on the I-69 here in Michigan with its 70 mph speed li=
mit and I'm sure happy to have my 5th gear, along with the 3.9, giving me 25=
 mph per 1,000 rpm.
>> =20
>> FWIW,
>> Allen
>> Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =3Diii=3D<
>> Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs
>> '57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 B/GT
>> North Street, MI 48049, USA
>> http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs
>> =20
>> On Nov 27, 2013, at 12:42 AM, Steve C. wrote:
>>=20
>>> As Steve K states I installed a 4 syncro overdrive many years ago in my Z=
A. I would not even consider doing so today. The 5 speed kits are so much ea=
sier to do. The come with everything you need and require almost no modifica=
tions to the car. To install the late over drive you need to build a rear tr=
ansmission mount, a transmission tunnel, drive shaft, speedo gear box and ca=
ble. Then deal with the starter hitting the frame and making a clutch hydrau=
lic line. I also did some mods to the shift tower, but do not remember exact=
ly what. I think that covers it all.
>>> --=20
>>> Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.=

>>>=20
>>> Steve Kirby <skirby210@cox.net> wrote:
>>> It is not my place to answer this, and it is further not my place to off=
er up this answer, but I will anyway!  One of my first, of many, mentors, in=
 the Magnette World was Steve Carroll . . . he of thee superb header set up m=
any of us have purchased.  Steve did put a full late B synchro in his.  I do=
 remember Steve describing the various things he had to do.  Steve is a pers=
on of immense talents, so his pay grade is much higher than mine.  Perhaps S=
teve will answer, now that I've prodded him a bit, or Charlie can contact hi=
m directly.
>>> =20
>>> #2SteveK
 sync MGB with a 4 sync.  The transmission tunnel is noticeably different.  I=
've put a 4 sync in and early MGB and it takes a lot of work with a BIG hamm=
er to move sheet metal around.  Even then, its still a tight fit.  I can't i=
magine a Magnette would be any easier.
>>> =20
>>> I think Allen is right, a Hi-Gear 5 speed would be quicker, easier, and p=
robably cheaper.
>>> =20
>>> Lann
>>> =20
>>> In a message dated 11/26/2013 10:19:44 A.M. Central Standard Time, durni=
ngcharles@gmail.com writes:
>>> Robert,
>>> =20
>>> I didn't think that even modifying the remote would work.  It would stil=
l be too far back, not to mention the height.  I was thinking about eleminat=
ing the remote and mounting the shifter directly to the opening on the trans=
 where the remote attaches.  I still have to get under the car and do some m=
easuring to see if that would be close.
>>> =20
>>> It would be good if some BMC car used the 4 synchro trans with a direct s=
hifter.  That would keep me from having to make something.
>>> =20
>>> =20
>>> Charlie Durning
>>> =20
>>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM, <monster@caverock.net.nz> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/Dads_Oxford.html
>>>=20
>>> On the above page are some photos and a description of fitting an MGB en=
gine and 4-synchro+overdrive 'box to a 1960's Farina Oxford.
>>> It includes a pic of shortening the remote gearlever extension to fit, a=
nd a new tunnel.
>>>=20
>>> I'd agree that the benefits of non-OD box over all the mods needed for a=
 3-synchro box might not be great.
>>> I also love the sound of the non-synchro 1st gear. Bah, musicians, eh? :=
-)
>>>=20
>>> regards,
>>> --=20
>>> Robert
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On 26.11.2013 15:50, Allen Bachelder wrote:
>>> Charlie,
>>> Even without overdrive, the remote shifter on the MGB 4-sync sits
>>> high and your going to have to substantially reshape the transmission
>>> tunnel to make it fit. That's a ferocious price to pay for a
>>> synchronized first gear. If you're going to that much trouble, you
>>> might as well go five-speed.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
> =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-24E1B136-421E-4FFF-B518-D0258D55AF06

ve notes from Dave Liveley? giving directions for a DIY 5 speed conversion. &=
nbsp;If anyone is interested I will try to find the notes. &nbsp;His directi=
ons were rather complete. &nbsp;Strange that no transmission made in this ce=
 2013, at 8:09 PM, David Halliday &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:davidh@egopharm.com"=
=3D"cite"><div><div dir=3D"ltr">I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hi Gear c=
onversion with the Ford type 9 gearbox.&nbsp; It is a great conversion.&nbsp=
; It fits easily, with very little in the way of mods and looks stock from t=
he interior.<br><div>

 my original and standard ZB yesterday.&nbsp; I really miss that 5th gear an=
div><div dir=3D"ltr">

abel Hardy <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gwhardy@suddenlink.net"; t=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex">

experience with a 210 tranny in a Midget. Neat little installation, requires=
=20
only a couple stout smacks on the tunnel side so as to allow removal of the s=
ide=20
located tranny oil check plug. You could if you wanted also use a hole saw c=
lear=20
through and check the level through the side from the inside of the cockpit b=
ut=20
don=E2=80=99t need to. Gear selector comes out pretty much exactly where the=
 old one=20
did, and gears 1-3 are almost exactly the same as the Midget box, 4th is dir=
ect=20
drive 1 : 1 ratio, and 5th is ease it on down the road gear for freeway=20
use...especially if you have already gone to a 3.9 : 1 rear as I did. It get=
s=20
about 45 mpg in 5th overdrive at 70 MPH, at about 2300 rpm; and 1st syncro i=
s=20
sure nice too. Very nice kit.</font></div>
quot;Calibri&quot;;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal">
comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">Allen Bachelder</a> </div>
te@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">List for the Z Magnette Group - North=20=

America</a> </div>
quot;Calibri&quot;;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal"><div><div>Mike=20=

and Charles,=20

challenge on Lombard Hill!&nbsp; I guess my consideration of rear gears pres=
umed=20
the 1800 was already in the picture. </div>
=20
I've moved the handbrake back about 1.5". This is not difficult at all - the=
re's=20
plenty of room to take up that much slack in the cable.&nbsp; Also note that=
 I=20
tilted the lever up a bit on it's front bracket.&nbsp; It clears the tower=20=

nicely. Regarding the 200SX or 240SX transmissions, the 280Z was Rivergate's=
=20
choice and their kit will not fit the others. They liked the extreme durabil=
ity=20
of the 280Z - as it was designed to handle the six-cylinder engine.&nbsp; Th=
ey=20
do have kits designed to fit the 210 five-speed to "A block" engines. Design=
ed=20
for Spridgets, I believe they also adapt well in Morris Minors. I keep my ey=
e=20
out for these on occasion and have dreams of my own MM 4-door with a 1275, a=
=20
Rivergate/210 five-speed, a Spridget 3.9 diff, and Spridget discs up=20
front.&nbsp; The trick is to FiND a 210 5-speed. And for that matter, the 28=
0Z=20
5-speeds are drying up also.&nbsp; BTW, there is some activity in the BW T5 b=
ull=20
pen.&nbsp; We may have another option before long.&nbsp; Hopefully somebody w=
ho=20
knows more than I will speak to this.</div>
=20
trouble to install than a Hi-Gear or a Datsun and give you very little retur=
n=20
for your money and effort.&nbsp; It would be nice to capitalize on that free=
 one=20
you have - except bear in mind that your freeby is the 2nd-most worthless pa=
rt=20
on an MGB, the most worthless part on an MGB being a 3sync non-od=20
transmission.&nbsp; If you advertised to MGB guys that you were currently=20=

accepting 4-sync non-od drop-offs, your front yard would be full by morning.=
=20
Keeping one or two and tearing them down for parts makes some sense as the=20=

internals can be used in rebuilding od boxes.&nbsp; I gave away four of them=
=20
about two years ago. I have one "spare" 4-sync od box that I'll will to one o=
f=20
my kids someday. The other kid will get the house and everything that's in t=
he=20
bank. </div>

easily - since the Rivergate/Datsun brings it's shifter up right in the MGB=20=

4-sync opening. Ergo, if the Rivergate/Datsun shifter requires about a 2"=20=

rearward expansion in the Magnette tunnel, the 4-sync MGB shifter would requ=
ire=20
about the same. I'm pretty sure it would be doable. ' Wonder if anybody's tr=
ied=20
this with a Triumph TR6 box.&nbsp; After all, a Triumph has to be good for=20=

something...&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp; ;-) </div>
normal;font:medium helvetica;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spa=
cing:0px"><span style=3D"text-indent:0px;border-collapse:separate;letter-spa=
cing:normal;font:medium helvetica;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;wor=
d-spacing:0px">
llapse:separate;letter-spacing:normal;font:medium helvetica;text-transform:n=
one;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D"text-indent:0px;bord=
er-collapse:separate;letter-spacing:normal;font:medium helvetica;text-transf=
orm:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px">
llapse:separate;letter-spacing:normal;font:medium helvetica;text-transform:n=
one;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px">
l;font:medium helvetica;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:=
0px">=20

T-VARIANT:normal;WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separat=
e;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0=
px">
[...]
-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>Allen=20
&amp; Florrie Bachelder&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =3Diii=3D&lt;<br=
>Spring=20
-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>'57=20
-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>North=20
Street, MI 48049,=20

f=3D"http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
MILY:helvetica;FONT-VARIANT:normal;WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDE=
R-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:no=
rmal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">=20

[...]
STYLE:normal"><b><i><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:12px;FONT-FAMILY:helvetica;FONT=
-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal">******************************************=

an></span></div>

  transmission just the NON OD trans that came with the engine.&nbsp; My con=
cern=20
  was with the location of the shifter.&nbsp; I'm thinking that with a littl=
e=20
  fabrication I can relocate the shift lever in the opening for the remote=20=

  control.&nbsp; I might even be able to adapt the Magnette lever there.&nbs=
p;=20
  I'll compare the 2 when I get it out sometime in the future.</div>
d=20
  from a wrecked MGB.&nbsp; It's FREE.&nbsp; I looked it over and it looks l=
ike=20
  the sfift lever would interfere with the parking brake lever also.&nbsp; I=
t=20
  looks like a major job to relocate the shift lever on that trans.&nbsp; I=20=

  would use it if I can work out relocating the shift lever. </div>

  using the NON OD MGB 4 synchro trans that came with the engine.&nbsp; I co=
uld=20
  keep the 3 synchro trans it would be easy enough to adapt to the 5 mb=20
  engine.&nbsp; </div>
un=20
  200SX or 240SX would put the shifter in the right place. <br clear=3D"all"=
  watching.</font></div>
er <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bachldrs@comcast.net"; target=3D"_=
 0px 0.8ex;BORDER-LEFT:#ccc 1px solid">
o do=20
    this is with the Datsun 280Z five-speed (it has a "Z" in it!) and a=20
    Rivergate kit.&nbsp; I've done it on two different Magnettes.&nbsp; The k=
it=20
    is designed for an MGB so there is a bit of fabrication necessary - but i=
t=20
    isn't rocket science.&nbsp; The bit in question is the transmission moun=
t.=20
    The Hi-Gear Ford Sierra kit is available from either Moss or Bruce Woods=
on=20
    and I understand there is a purpose-built version for the Magnette.=20
y=20
    darn easy.&nbsp; The pictures show the only modifications done to the=20=

    car.&nbsp; Bear in mind that the PO had converted the car to the Datsun=20=

    transmission with a kit homemade by his mechanic. The second picture sho=
ws=20
    how much material was removed from the back of the shifter opening.&nbsp=
; In=20
    fact, this is more than necessary, but the third picture shows how I dea=
lt=20
    with it.&nbsp; I chose not to weld the new tunnel patch in case a future=
=20
    owner wants to reverse the conversion.&nbsp; In this sense, in answer to=
=20
    frequent criticism, by using a Japanese transmission, I actually preserv=
ed=20
    more original MG than I would have with an MG transmission. Another=20
    advantage to this approach is that the old Magnette drive shaft still fi=
ts -=20
    requiring only that the front U-joint yoke be reamed slightly to fit the=
=20
    Datsun U-joint which of course has it's own front yoke and transmission=20=

    spline.&nbsp; </div>
    boot.&nbsp;&nbsp; I did rework the flange of the shift-lever tower with a=
=20
    body hammer to fit its new location. The PO didn't use a tower at all.</=
div>

    choice, first try replacing your original 4.55 differential gear set wit=
h a=20
    4.3, a 4.1 (if you can find one), or a 3.9.&nbsp; This is an easy two-ho=
ur=20
    job. You might find that even with the original gearbox, you're happy wi=
th=20
    the higher-geared rear end. It's interesting that the two ZAs I rode in=20=

    while visiting the UK were both the earliest 4.87 rear-end types, and wh=
ile=20
    we never went on the "M roads" with them (equivalent to our interstates)=
,=20
    they seemed remarkably unstressed.&nbsp; For awhile there, I started=20
    wondering why I had gone to all this effort.&nbsp; But then I get on the=
=20
    I-69 here in Michigan with its 70 mph speed limit and I'm sure happy to h=
ave=20
    my 5th gear, along with the 3.9, giving me 25 mph per 1,000 rpm.</div>
separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium helvetica;LETTER-SPACING:normal;TEX=
T-INDENT:0px"><span style=3D"WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLL=
APSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium helvetica;LETTER-SPACING:norma=
l;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
RD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium helv=
etica;LETTER-SPACING:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px"><span style=3D"WHITE-SPACE:norm=
al;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium=
 helvetica;LETTER-SPACING:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
RD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium helv=
etica;LETTER-SPACING:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
>****************************************************************</i></b></s=
pan><span style=3D"WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separ=
ate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT:medium helvetica;LETTER-SPACING:normal;TEXT-IND=
ENT:0px">=20

;FONT-VARIANT:normal;WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:sep=
[...]
FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>Allen=20
    &amp; Florrie Bachelder&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>'57=20
FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal"><b><i>North=20
> [...]

HITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:n=
one;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
HITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:n=
one;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
HITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:n=
one;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
HITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT-TRANSFORM:n=
one;LETTER-SPACING:normal;LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
><b><i><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:12px;FONT-FAMILY:helvetica;FONT-WEIGHT:norma=
l;FONT-STYLE:normal">*******************************************************=

an></span></div>
ANT:normal;WHITE-SPACE:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;TEXT=
-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;L=
INE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px">
 I=20
      installed a 4 syncro overdrive many years ago in my ZA. I would not ev=
en=20
      consider doing so today. The 5 speed kits are so much easier to do. Th=
e=20
      come with everything you need and require almost no modifications to t=
he=20
      car. To install the late over drive you need to build a rear transmiss=
ion=20
      mount, a transmission tunnel, drive shaft, speedo gear box and cable. T=
hen=20
      deal with the starter hitting the frame and making a clutch hydraulic=20=

      line. I also did some mods to the shift tower, but do not remember exa=
ctly=20
      what. I think that covers it all.<br>--<span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt">=
&nbsp;</span><br>Sent from my Android phone=20
      with<span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt">&nbsp;</span><a style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
10pt" href=3D"http://mail.com/"; target=3D"_blank">mail.com</a><span style=3D=
"FONT-SIZE:10pt">&nbsp;</span>Mail. Please excuse my=20
      brevity.<br><br>
 href=3D"mailto:skirby210@cox.net"; target=3D"_blank">skirby210@cox.net</a>&g=
t;=20
      wrote:=20
 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;BORDER-LEFT:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid">
"3">It is=20
        not my place to answer this, and it is further not my place to offer=
 up=20
        this answer, but I will anyway!&nbsp; One of my first, of many, ment=
ors,=20
        in the Magnette World was Steve Carroll . . . he of thee superb head=
er=20
        set up many of us have purchased.&nbsp; Steve did put a full late B=20=

        synchro in his.&nbsp; I do remember Steve describing the various thi=
ngs=20
        he had to do.&nbsp; Steve is a person of immense talents, so his pay=
=20
        grade is much higher than mine.&nbsp; Perhaps Steve will answer, now=
=20
        that I've prodded him a bit, or Charlie can contact him=20
        directly.</font></div>
"3"></font>&nbsp;</div>
"3">#2SteveK</font></div>
b(0,0,0) 2px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px">
M@aol.com" target=3D"_blank">LannM@aol.com</a></div>
le=3D"zmagnette@autox.team.net" href=3D"mailto:zmagnette@autox.team.net"; tar=
get=3D"_blank">zmagnette@autox.team.net</a></div>
day,=20
          November 26, 2013 8:29 AM</div>
e:=20
          [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB</div>
ace=3D"Arial">
s=20
          wider than the 3 sync.&nbsp; Compare a 3 sync MGB with a 4 sync.&n=
bsp;=20
          The transmission tunnel is noticeably different.&nbsp; I've put a 4=
=20
          sync in and early MGB and it takes a lot of work with a BIG hammer=
 to=20
          move sheet metal around.&nbsp; Even then, its still a tight fit.&n=
bsp;=20
          I can't imagine a Magnette would be any easier.</div>
peed=20
          would be quicker, easier, and probably cheaper.</div>
44=20
          A.M. Central Standard Time,<span>&nbsp;</span><a href=3D"mailto:du=
rningcharles@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">durningcharles@gmail.com</a><span>=
&nbsp;</span>writes:</div>
blue 2px solid"><font style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:transparent" color=3D"#00000=
0" face=3D"Arial">
 the=20
            remote would work.&nbsp; It would still be too far back, not to=20=

            mention the height.&nbsp; I was thinking about eleminating the=20=

            remote and mounting the shifter directly to the opening on the t=
rans=20
            where the remote attaches.&nbsp; I still have to get under the c=
ar=20
            and do some measuring to see if that would be close.</div>
sed=20
            the 4 synchro trans with a direct shifter.&nbsp; That would keep=
 me=20
            from having to make something.</div>
6, 2013=20
mailto:monster@caverock.net.nz"; href=3D"mailto:monster@caverock.net.nz"; targ=
:<br>
IN:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;BORDER-LEFT:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid"><br><a title=3D=
"http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website pages/Dads_Oxford.html" href=3D"http=
://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/Dads_Oxford.html" target=3D"_blan=
html</a><br>

              the above page are some photos and a description of fitting an=
 MGB=20
              engine and 4-synchro+overdrive 'box to a 1960's Farina=20
              Oxford.<br>It includes a pic of shortening the remote gearleve=
r=20
              extension to fit, and a new tunnel.<br><br>I'd agree that the=20=

              benefits of non-OD box over all the mods needed for a 3-synchr=
o=20
              box might not be great.<br>I also love the sound of the=20
              non-synchro 1st gear. Bah, musicians, eh?=20
RGIN:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;BORDER-LEFT:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid">Charlie,<br>E=
ven=20
                without overdrive, the remote shifter on the MGB 4-sync=20
                sits<br>high and your going to have to substantially reshape=
 the=20
                transmission<br>tunnel to make it fit. That's a ferocious pr=
ice=20
                to pay for a<br>synchronized first gear. If you're going to t=
hat=20
                much trouble, you<br>might as well go=20
Zmagnette=20
    mailing list<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"=
a><br>

Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
mailman/options/zmagnette/durningcharles@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/durningcharles@gmail.com</a><br>

__<br>Zmagnette=20
  mailing list<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive:=20
net/archive</a><br>Forums:=20
et/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
t.net" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/bac=
Zmagnette mailing list<br>
/www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
team.net/forums</a><br>
te/davidh@egopharm.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/zmagnette/davidh@egopharm.com</a><br>
ums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a></=
options/zmagnette/arch.boston@twc.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options=
uote></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-24E1B136-421E-4FFF-B518-D0258D55AF06--