tvr

Re: TVR upright upgrade

To: rolf@bnl.gov, Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca
Subject: Re: TVR upright upgrade
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:55:07 EDT
In a message dated 01-06-19 16:26:00 EDT, rolf@bnl.gov writes:

<<
 Regarding the Trunnions: I believe the following has been posted before.

 The early TVRhas no stops on the steering so it is very easy to turn the
 wheels too far, to the point where they scrub sideways. This puts a
 tremendous stress on the trunion, as I unfortunately found out when my left
 front snapped off. Or was it the right? I have seriously thought about
 putting in a couple of stops. >>

Hello,

First things first.  Yesterday I said that the TR6 upright is 3-4 inches
longer than the Herald/Spit upright.  I WAS WRONG!!  I made some quick
measurements today of the spares I have in my garage.  The TR6 upright is
less than two inches longer.  The difference is somewhere around 1-5/8".
That doesn't make the swap any easier, but I  wanted to correct my screwup.

No doubt about it, too much steering lock puts an EXTREME load on the
threaded potion of the upright.  Rolf's idea to install some stops is a good
one.  I have been trying to be careful to avoid turning  the wheel too far,
but I don't get it right every time :-( .  Properly done, the stops would
make it "idiot-proof".  Well worth whatever loss in turning circle diameter.

Someone mentioned beefier stub axles.  The GT6 stub axles are a little larger
diameter, but you need special hubs to use them.  The GT6 uprights have the
same small diameter trunnion as the Herald/Spit uprights though, so they
don't offer any advantage there.

Someone mentioned a racer in California who was using MGB uprights.  I think
that might be Lou Anderson.  If that's the car, Kevin Wallace is the current
owner.  Kevin is on this list, so he may be able to tell us more.  I have
seen the car, heck I have even driven the car.  The front uprights, whatever
they are from, have been heavily modified.  Cut and welded at one or both
ends to accept ball joints/heim joints?  They are holding up under extreme
conditions though.  This is a full-race Griffith with big sticky tires.  The
Griffiths were originally fitted with the Herald/Spit upright/trunnion.
SCARY!!

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA

///