RE: [TR] 58 TR3A CHOKE [Hard To Pull]

To: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] 58 TR3A CHOKE [Hard To Pull]
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:54:56 -0700
> The choke on my TR3A is extreamly diffficult to pull out far enough to set
> it at full. For me, setting the choke is necessary for starting after the
> car has sit for a couple of days or more. Immagine the cartoon
> where I have
> both feet on the dash and both hands trying to get a decent enough grip to
> pull the darn thing out far enough to do any good...> 3+ inches. The choke
> end does not seem to be a problem
>
> Before I dismantle the whole thing has anyone had any experience
> like this.?
> What is causing cable pull to be so difficult?

Fran, hard pulling chokes are indeed common.  Usually it's a combination of
reasons, not just one thing.

A good place to start is the cable itself.  If it's one of the aftermarket
cables with a solid core, remove the core and check for any kinks.  Careful
bending with pliers will usually improve the situation, the inner cable
should hang perfectly straight if you hold just the knob with the cable
hanging down.  Any visible curve or kink should be attended to.  Better,
probably, is to find a stranded-core cable (as original).  Some lubrication
wouldn't hurt either.

Next, I would suggest pulling the carb jet housings apart, and replacing the
springs inside.  Since the cork glands for the jet frequently leak, many
'mechanics' try to fix the leak by stretching the spring and putting more
pressure on the gland.  In addition to making the choke hard to pull, it can
also make it not return properly.  At today's gas prices, just one trip with
a choke hanging on can pay for new springs !

While you are in there, polish the surface of the jet to a shine.  Originals
were supplied polished, but modern replacements frequently aren't.  Auto
body rubbing compound works well on the soft brass, followed by polishing
compound and then thorough cleaning.  (Use a toothpick or similar to be sure
all the compound is out of the jet ... don't want that stuff in your
engine!)

Then replace the jet return springs as well.  (Here again, many are modified
by well-meaning mechanics to cure the jet not returning.)

Last, check that all the pivots in the choke linkage are loose ... yes, they
are supposed to be that way.  The arrangement where the cable is attached is
a bit non-obvious, perhaps some other lister can supply a photo or diagram
of this area.

After all that, it will still be a little stiff to pull ... I pull mine with
two fingers and a thumb propped against the dash ... otherwise I'm afraid of
bending the dash !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org