RE: Reverse Gear on a '74 TR6

To: "'Jim Davis'" <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Reverse Gear on a '74 TR6
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:57:22 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim :

I don't really know about TR6, but I can verify from personal observation
that the earlier transmissions were designed so that you were supposed to
have to lift the lever to get into the reverse selector.  I suspect this
was also true for early TR6 (pre-CC10961, perhaps).  The blowup in the Moss
TR6 catalog looks exactly like my TR3 and 4 transmissions, and the part
number for the pre-CC10961 reverse selector is the same, where the 'floor'
of the selector is a little higher than the other selectors.  There is also
no other mechanism shown to hold the lever in the 3-4 selector.

I don't have the means to send you a picture, but I can vouch that I have
several of them disassembled in the garage, and you can even see the wear
where people didn't lift the lever !

Since there have also been a fair number of people, like yourself, that say
this is not the case, I suspect it wasn't true on later cars.

And of course, we've had several threads on all the errors and omissions to
be found in the Bentley manuals (as well as Haynes, Chiltons, Clymer,
Autobook, etc.) <g>

Randall