Re: Reverse Gear on a '74 TR6

Subject: Re: Reverse Gear on a '74 TR6
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:49:27 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul,
        Have to respectfully disagree here. I've owned 6 TR6's and rebuilt 3
transmissions and if everything is right there is no need to pull "up"
on the shifter to engage reverse. The shifter is spring loaded away from
reverse, but this easily overcome. If reverse is difficult to engage AND
the clutch is fully disengaging, then the problem lies in either shifter
adjustment, reverse selector shaft(and/or components) wear and/or
adjustment, or reverse idler gear assembly wear or adjustment. Reverse
problems can also indicate layshaft (countershaft) bearing wear, but 1st
gear is usually also a problem and accompanied by bearing squeal or
roar. For shifter adjustment, see your Haynes or Bentley manuals. If
that fails to solve your problem you can remove the top cover and check
the operation of the selectors and reverse actuator without having to
remove the tranny.
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA