[Shotimes] Nitrogen-filled tires

To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Nitrogen-filled tires
From: av8r567@optonline.net
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:24:24 -0400
I know we talked about this on the list a while back.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060731/ap_on_bi_ge/nitrogen_tires

"Skeptics will question how much can be gained by filling tires with pure
nitrogen when the air we breathe is 78 percent nitrogen."

Being a skeptic (and an engineer) I will and do question this.  Correct me if
I'm wrong, but when a tire is mounted on a rim, doesn't "regular air" get
trapped inside????  Even if pure Nitrogen is used to "pop" the tire bead onto
the rim there's still "regular air" inside that will be mixed with the
Nitrogen.  Soooo, you don't end up with a tire filled with 100% Nitrogen.  The
only way to ensure 100% Nitrogen inside the tire is if the tire mounting
machine were inside a sealed room filled with Nitrogen and the installer had to
wear an Oxygen mask.  Is that what the tire dealer purchases for $3,000 to
$12,000 dollars? What am I missing here?

What if it's Sunday night and my tire(s) are a few psi low?  If the local Gas
'n Sip doesn't have Nitrogen, then what good is having Nitrogen in my tires?