[oletrucks] bearing race

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] bearing race
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:42:31 -0700
Hi again everybody,

Thanks for all the suggestions on getting the broken bearing out.  Grant
Galbraith clued me in on what I was missing:  I had forgotten that the
bearing retainer was supposed to come out with everything else.  I guess
I was thinking it was part of the axle housing.  Anyway, I drove
everything out with a long metal pole I had laying around, from the
opposite side.  Since that's how I got the broken axle out in the first
place, I feel a bit silly.  Oh well, the parts are out!

Just in case, though, I had a beer can half full of water in the freezer
so that I could keep the bearing race cold whilst heating the axle
housing.  :-)

Thanks again,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Fleetside