Re: [oletrucks] bearing race

To: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] bearing race
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:27:54 -0700
If you have an arc welder or know someone who does, weld a bead around the
inside of the race. Doesn't have to be good, just don't weld the housing by
mistake. The weld will shrink the race and you should be able to pull it
out with your fingers once its cool. This works for removing dry cylinder
sleeves too. You can also shrink oversize axle eyes if the King pins are no
longer a press fit (doesn't apply to half ton axles).

Tom Allen
51 3800

At 09:00 PM 5/10/99 -0700, Edward Miller wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm running into a technical trouble replacing the rear bearing on my
>pickup.  When the axle broke, it smashed the bearing beyond recognition;
>just tonight I pulled out the seal and most of the bearing wreckage.
>But I can't get the race out; I have a slide hammer puller, but it can't
>get a good grip on the race.  I briefly tried to cut it with a chisel.
>Oh well, I guess I needed a new chisel anyway.  :-)
>
>I'm considering buying a tiny diamond type cutting blade for my die
>grinder, and very carefully and fearfully trying to cut it apart without
>damaging the (naturally) much softer metal around it.  I'd love it if
>somebody has a better idea....
>
>Thanks everybody,
>Ed Miller
>'58 Apache Fleetside (taking an unwilling break from it's work)

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA