[oletrucks] bearing race

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] bearing race
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 21:00:53 -0700
Hi all,

I'm running into a technical trouble replacing the rear bearing on my
pickup.  When the axle broke, it smashed the bearing beyond recognition;
just tonight I pulled out the seal and most of the bearing wreckage.
But I can't get the race out; I have a slide hammer puller, but it can't
get a good grip on the race.  I briefly tried to cut it with a chisel.
Oh well, I guess I needed a new chisel anyway.  :-)

I'm considering buying a tiny diamond type cutting blade for my die
grinder, and very carefully and fearfully trying to cut it apart without
damaging the (naturally) much softer metal around it.  I'd love it if
somebody has a better idea....

Thanks everybody,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Fleetside (taking an unwilling break from it's work)