Fueling a Morris Sedan or Convertible in the USA

To: <morris@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fueling a Morris Sedan or Convertible in the USA
From: "John Quilter" <jquilter@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:18:30 -0700
Fellow Morris drivers;

Does anyone have a method to fuel a Morris sedan or convertible using the
modern vapor recovery service station fuel pumps without having the last half
cup of fuel run out on the ground?   I have tried holding the nozzle straight
up and pushed fully home, horizontal and pushed fully home, tapering off the
flow as the tank gets close to full.    Nothing I have tried seems to work.
All places have vapor recovery systems now as required by law but a Morris
seems to defeat these by always spilling fuel on the car, and on the ground.
My Austin 1300 (America) has the same diameter filler and same cap with chain
and it does not have this problem but the filler is mounted higher on the car
in relation to the tank.

This is not a major problem but I thought I'd tap the knowledge out there to
see if anyone has figured this problem out.

John F. Quilter
1960 Morris convertible
(original family ownership)
Brisbane, California