Re: (radical Alterations)

To: morrisminors@smartgroups.com
Subject: Re: (radical Alterations)
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:28:03 -0800
>Speaking of all the modifications that are planned...
>Has anyone heard of a V-4 engine?  One of my co-workers said he thought GM
>made one that was wide, but very short.  I don't remember seeing any such
>animal.
>
>Thanks,
>Rick Nelson

Gang!

Ford made one for years in Europe but the only car that came here with that
mill was the old Saab 96 turtleback and wagon. I have seen one in a Minor
many years ago bolted to the 4-speed from a V6 German Capri (remember
those??? ), remember the Saab is FWD. . . . . .

It did fit without cutting and looked sort of cool but could be blown away
in a race with a healthy 1275!!!  Another Saab story!

Not to change the subject, but I will. . . .

What are the weirdest conversions you have seen??

Russ Brownell put a Simca 1100 in a minor - It was a long time ago but. . .
. Simca?

I've seen Fiat power, both OHV and twin cam

Toyota 1200/slant four, Larry Jennings built a van with an 1800 hemi out of
a late 70s Corola - had to move the rack

Pinto/Capri/Cortina 1600 was the standard in the US before the Datsun
1200-1500 became available

Triumph Spitfire 1300/gearbox

Capri V6

GM 2.4 V6 - fairly small and looks cool like a small 350

VW engine mounted backwards with a different cam (never saw it run though!)

Brazillian built Chevette (remember those?) and gearbox.

MGB - mounted so low that the car had to be raised to clear the road on
bumps, I also think that the B series engine weighs more than a Rover/Buick
V8!

The best was one that I only heard about from an old friend who owned the
BAP parts store on O'Farrel St in San Francisco,  In the early 1950s, there
was a guy in SF who drove a ratty tatty black MM ragtop with 15" back
wheels and big tyres that actually filled the huge early wheel arches. It
had a nasty exhaust note and could blow the doors off of any of the locals
in their MG TDs and TCs, even the ones fitted with the popular Shorrock
superchargers - drove everyone crazy!  It was later found that the owner
installed a Offenhauser twin cam four from a midget racer bolted to am MG
TC gearbox and used a narrowed Studebaker rear end!  Alwas hoped to find
that car for all those years that I lived in SF - might still be out there
hidden in a garage. . . . . . .

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice Beach, CA