Re: Glove Box, Transmission Suggestions

To: BillSvale@aol.com
Subject: Re: Glove Box, Transmission Suggestions
From: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:26:57 -0800
Congrats, Bill!  So nice to drive a head turner of a car, isn't it?  You will
soon discover it's a genuine "Babe" magnet!

BillSvale@aol.com wrote:

> I just got my newly painted '57 Morris Convertible presentable enough to
> drive to work and my coworkers were absolutely awestruck that I had such an
> unusual and beautiful car.  It made all the hard work of restoring the former
> basket case worthwhile.  I'm still working on some of the less critical items
> such as the glove box liners and covers.  My new liners came with screw clips
> that look like they should attach around the perimeter but the only
> corresponding holes in the sheet metal are the four holes in the hinge
> positions.  How do I attach the rest of the liner?  Do I have to drill more
> holes?  Also, what is the preferred hinge attachment hardware?  should I use
> clip on speed nuts and countersunk sheetmetal screws or some other
> arrangement?  My original glove box liner and lid attachment hardware seems
> to have gone to car heaven so I don't have a model to work from.

Glove box liners are a pain to install.  I don't know which doors you have as
there was more than one and it has an effect on how you do some stuff.  The four
holes punched in the bottom to match the hinges are fine.  There should also be
double L clip screwed onto the lower back area where the liner goes for the
liner
to rest on.  You will possibly need to cut an area by the door stop and the
liner
goes behind that, leaving the stop exposed.  Because some of these liners are
made too tight, you also may need to loosen the tape at the top to get it to fit
well.  If you don't have acces holes drilled in them to loosen the speedo head
screws, then either loosen the speedo screws before fitting the liners or cut
access hole in the liners.

If you want me to scan some parts pictures of how this all fits, contact me off
list.

> My original smoothcase transmission is functional but makes threatening
> noises telling me I should have a "plan B".  I have a ribcase transmission
> from a Midget that I would like to have rebuilt as a replacement.  Any
> recommendations for who in the SF Bay is in the buisness of rebuilding this
> type of transmission would be appreciated.

I also rebuild them and it's easy to ship UPS.  They don't weigh much.  It's
usually a pricey proposition to rebuild these as it's almost always the same
parts that are shot, and they aren't cheap!

> Thanks to all list members who have helped me over the years in getting my
> venerable Minor functional and presentable.  I'm planning on displaying it at
> the car meet in Palo Alto later this year.   ---Bill Langdell

Looking forward to seeing it there.

Regards, Paul A