'DICKEY' SEATS

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: 'DICKEY' SEATS
From: ROWEMOGS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:40:26 EDT
Dear coachbuilt car body fans in the 'Good old US of A',

Before I am driven totally bananas - I have been scanning the Good Ole -
Encyclopedia Britannica - you remember books don't you - words, punctuation
and grammar and all that sort of thing - can someone please tell me the
origin of the term 'dickey' seat - if indeed it ever made it's way across
'The Pond'.

It is basically a term that refers to the two occasional rear seats at the
back of a car so fitted (well they would be wouldn't they - covered in by a
hinged lid when not in use.  I suspect that the origin goes back to the horse
drawn coach age and survived in the bespoke car coachbuilder's craft
vocabulary.

In confidence that the 'Big Colony Across The Pond'  will have the answer .

Have a nice weekend!

Chris Rowe