RE: 'DICKEY' SEATS

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>, "'Stuart J. Ross'" <stuross@nac.net>
Subject: RE: 'DICKEY' SEATS
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 22:33:17 -0400
Stuart & Colin,

I was too lazy to go upstairs to the living room and pick up a dictionary
(my laptop is in my 'den" in the basement).  But Ed Driver sent me a private
e-mail citing the "Oxford Concise," so I got mine out as well as an old
Webster.

Concise Oxford:
dicky, dickey: ||extra folding seat at back of vehicle
rumble:*~seat, uncovered folding seat in rear of motor car

Webster:
dickey, dicky [from Dick, a familiar name]
3. In a vehicle: a. A seat for the driver; - called also dickey box. b. A
seat at he back; a rumble
rumble
3a. A seat for servants, behind the body of a carriage. b. In full "rumble
seat" A folding seat in the back of the covered part of an automobile.

I have no problem with dick(e)y vs. rumble (sounds like a court case)
because both convey to me the same thing: a folded seat under a rear-hinged
lid behind the passenger compartment.  It is my impression that the "jump
seat" that Colin refered to is a folded seat commonly inside the passenger
compartment.  These seat would probably be no longer legal anyway.

Note that we still have not determined who or what the dick(e)y seat is
named after, other than it may have been a Dick.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB