Plus 4 Tyre size

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Plus 4 Tyre size
From: Eric Cummins <ecummins@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:43:28 -0500
Dear fellow Morgan caretakers,

I recently became the provider for a 1959 Plus 4 (2 seater) . The car
has 60 spoke
wire wheels and disk brakes. I am trying to determine the correct tyre
size for this car.

It currently has 165/80 R15 tyres on it. These tyres are too wide as the
side walls
scrape the top of the front spring.
Most of the books that I have seen call for a 5.50/15 bias ply tyre
however they do not
say whether the aspect ratio is 92 or 82 which I would need to know in
order to find
a current tyre size with the same overall dimensions.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Cummins