Re: Plus 4 Tyre size

To: ecummins@bellsouth.net, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Plus 4 Tyre size
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:27:29 -0500 (EST)
A 165 tyre is fatter- just by a scosh. The clearance is really minimal- at
least on my two +4's .. I also could only find 165's- unless I went to
vintage tyre source.
One solution is to get a set of spacers from Greg Solow. Mine were $90.00 a
pair several years ago. They worked fine on my car.
The interesting thing was- when I put 1/2" wider, 72 spoke Dayton wheels on
the car- with the 165"s- the clearance incerased- spacers not needed!
According to British Wire Wheel, the increase in width is on the outside- the
tyre is spread slightly and therefore the sidwalls are pulled in slightly. I
have found this true on both Morgans with two sets of Dayton wheels.
One car I could run 165's with the 60 spokes by grinding a bit off of the
spring perch. The other was just too close. I think your choices will
be.......
Grinding
spacers
new- wider wheels
Vintage tyres (Coker)

I had chrome wires on one car, however I personaly prefer painted wheels to
avoid the kit-car look. 72 spoke Daytons from British Wire Wheel are not to
expensive.

My first (running) car was a 48 Anglia in 1956 and I have had lots of British
cars in the past. NO one that I ever saw (in Indianapolis...) had chrome
wires except show cars and Buicks and guys in California.

Fred Sisson