Re: engine colors

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: engine colors
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 19:58:24 +0100
Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu> writes

>I have a sense that factory habbits were flexible as regards details of the
>Mog.  However, every Mog I've seen has the fire wall in black.  Is this
>basically true?  I was thinking of cleaning up the engine and painting it,
>but what color?  I don't mean to imply that I'm intent upon absolute
>originality, but...  I'm talking about the ford engine here, so please don't
>tell me to paint it Ford blue (that color makes me urpy).  I cheer for every
>ford powered racing car, don't get me wrong, but that blue is a bit...
>upsetting to me.  I am guessing a nice black is plenty fine enough.

Morgan have never painted their engines specially- so they are always
the colour the manufacturer sent them in. Original Ford engines could be
light blue/dark blue/black or grey, depending on year, engine type etc.
etc. Most Ford approved UK rebuilt engines are black. "Original Morgan"
isn't that helpful here.

My engine is black- I like it like that!

Morgan 4/4 engine bays/firewalls etc have almost always been black, for
older cars, brush painted with a hairy brush- most rebuit cars are
therefore heavily over-restored in this respect. New cars are powder
coated black and until the worker was told not to- brush painted black
as well!

It's your car- paint anything the colour you're happy with.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str