Working with Fiberglass

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Working with Fiberglass
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:14:09 -0400
Hey gang,

   I was talking with a guy (Tommy Albright) today at work.  He
was saying how this summer couldn't be worse or even as bad as
last summer.  I asked why.  He said that last summer he was working
on some fiberglass boats.  That got us to talking about the problems
ie. the dust and then the itching.  I was telling him how I hated
that and that I'd been looking for some way to stop or at least
get it under control.  Showers did'nt work, etc.  The only thing
that halfway helps is to have all you skin covered, and the cuffs
of you shirts and pants taped tight around the limb.

   Anyway, he gave me 2 great tips that I thought I'd pass along.

   1. To help keep down the dust, take a towel and wet it and lay
      it around you work.  Now as you sand or grind, do it so the
      dust goes to the towel.  The dust will stick to the damp towel
      and reduce the dust in the air and cut down on the itching.

   2. When you're finished, take some panty hose [preferably you
      wifes old one - and make sure she knows you are doing it] and
      wipe youself off with the hose.  They will pull the little
      fiberglass particles off you and trap them in the hose.

The reason I said to be sure you wife (or girlfriend) knows you are
doing it, was he was out of town working on the boats.  His wife came
to spend a week with him, and he had a hell of a time convincing her
of why he had these panty hose around his room.

Talking with another fellow (Joe Johnston) he suggested using masking
tape to pat youself down to remove the fiberglass particles.

I thought these we all **great** ideas and wanted to share them.
Anyone have any other / better suggestions?

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!