mini-baja

Re: chrome moly and douglas wheels

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: chrome moly and douglas wheels
From: Jade7773@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:42:22 -0500
We also use chrome moly due to its resistance to denting.  The bottoms of our
cars get dragged and slammed against rocks, and have held up surprisingly well.

As for the welding of 4130...In such instances as baja, with very thin wall,
pre and post heat treating is unnecessary.  If you are MIG or TIG welding it,
using a decent amount of filler, the weld will be ductile.

Ive done testing myself where ive welded sheet together, then bend the weld
back and forth...It acts similar to mild steel.  Either 1020 or 4130 will
work...there are slight advantages to 4130, if ya can afford it.

Nick
Cal Poly SLO