mini-baja

RE: chrome moly and douglas wheels

To: Thiago Bigarella <tbigarella@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: chrome moly and douglas wheels
From: susantoa@pdx.edu
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:18:24 -0800
Chrome moly does provide higher yield strength, however if you're designing for
stiffness, chrome moly's E value is VERY similar to any other steels. If you
look at the two equations used in the rules (EI and SyI/c), notice that the
size is mainly determined in the EI requirement.  Even with a higher Sy,
there's still a minimum EI value you need to meet.

For those who've used chrome moly, where do you see the advantage?  We've
decided to stick with mild steel mainly because we don't have the capability to
post-heat and then heat treat chrome moly welds.  When we've done chrome moly
parts in the past, we welded with mild steel filler so the weld area isn't too
brittle.