mini-baja

Re: Commet CV transmission

To: Elliot Cortes Reyna <00667879@academ01.gda.itesm.mx>
Subject: Re: Commet CV transmission
From: Sam Drake <drake@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:17:53 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Elliot Cortes Reyna wrote:

>  Hi, I am the Capitan for the first Mini-Baja project in my university ITESM
> campus Guadalajara.
>
> I am wondering if some one can tell me about the way these Comet CV
> transmission works, or a web page to read about.
>
> I know that the CV change the torque depending in the velocity. But the
> question is that
>     ? the CV have a neutral?
>
>     ? the CV change the torque continuous variable to low and high,, i mean,
> ,,  2.45 to 1.24 passing for all the intermediate ratios, depending of the
> velocity?
>
>      ? did the CV works well?
>
> Tks I will appreciate your answers,
>

> Elliot Enrique Cortes Reyna
> Tel 36401892
> Cel.5661529

You can probably get a catalog from comet that explains how these devices
work.  Unfortunately, their web site at www.hoffcocomet.com does not have
a good explanation.  To answer some of your questions:

At idle, the CVT will not be engaged so you do not need a neutral.  This
assumes that it is properly adjusted.

It is continuously variable and depends on the engine RPM.  If you go up a
hill, the ratio will change to provide more torque as the engine RPM
drops.

Most of the Mini-Baja cars use a belt type CVT.  It is the easiest
solution and probably the easiest to drive as you do not need to shift.
This type transmission is used almost exclusively on snowmobiles (probably
not a big market in Mexico) and is also used on some of the 4-wheeler
ATVs.

Sam Drake
Univ of Utah