mystery fitting-P type

To: mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: mystery fitting-P type
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:14:19 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Hi fellows,

While preparing to fit engine back in chassis, I found a threaded hole in
left (on-side?)rear cross tube bracket. I also found smaller hole in cross tube

itself.
Assuming there was a missing bolt/grub screw, I asked Mr. Rich to make one
for me by turning down the end of a small bolt.The assumption was, after
sliding  brackets out to their final positions inside each chassis channel, the
bolt/grub  would further lock the tube in place.
After assembly and dropping the engine/gearbox in place (thanks to much  help
from Brian Kelly) I find they don't match up. First thought was to drill  new
hole in cross shaft... but wait... why?

Tube isn't going anywhere... why should it spin other  than slight  flex in
frame... what am I missing or is it necessary? It's clearly part of the
original bracket molding. I don't get it.

Thanks,

Don B.