RE: PA SU Fuel Pump Location

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA SU Fuel Pump Location
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:08:16 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Don,
I would have repaired the bottom and front of my tank. However some DPO had
welded a sheet of steel over right across the front of the tank above the
battery cutout, then carried it up over the top of the tank and lap welded
it over the center of the tank top. Ugly tank top. Also the filler
connection was totally wrong.
I had a new J2 tank in stock so modified it to PA connections. This tank
also had the correct dog bone filler and I had a spare dog bone cap. All in
all, much easier to modify the new tank at no cost except a few hours and
some silver soldering of connections.
I will route the fuel lines over the top of the chassis.
Thanks for all the help.
Regards, Bob
Bob Grunau
150 Pinewood Trail,
Mississauga, Ontario,
Canada, L5G-2L1

-
Hi Bob,

My car had the same "fiber glass" petrol tank illness. Had local welder
replace entire back of tank with sheet steel. Looks great and a lot cheaper
than
new.

We got into the issue of fuel line routing at Abingdon (IL.) gathering two
years ago. As the new guy asking the question, I was the designated
"crawlee"
to  go under everyone's P. We had two lines over the frame, two lines under
and
(of  course) one of each. General consensus (and old photos) seem to be both
lines up  and over the rear frame rail.

Up and over (seems to me) to be the safer location if one were to
bottom-out
on a curb or roadside. Under the frame could be more easily pinched  against
the obstruction and the bottom of the frame.

Don B. (Old up and over)

---